|An update and a few words from Tony
A very good day to you and hope you are all safe and well.
Whilst I struggle to remember what I did during previous Easter weekends, I don’t think I’ll ever forget Easter weekend 2020. A bizarre mixture of appreciation, reflection and sadness. But, the overriding memory will be of how so many people stepped up to help. Whether that is frontline NHS and care workers, volunteers at food banks, innovative companies creating much needed protective equipment or individuals simply just reaching out and helping neighbours and strangers. Truly amazing and hopefully will continue. A further update on this subject from Gareth below.
So, on with the update. As per my previous note, no formal Executive update today, as the next meeting is April 20th, so I will update next week. However, ahead of that I did just want to make one note with regard to the dinghy park fees. The dinghy park invoices have been sent out this week and reflect the normal full amount for the year.
We are in discussions with relevant parties regarding the launch discs and if we do get any discount, this will be passed back to members at a later date. As per the letter, we are now offering monthly or quarterly direct debits, so hopefully this will be beneficial to members wishing to spread the fee over the year. If any individual members are experiencing specific difficulties with regard to dinghy or membership fees you can drop me a line and we will review and assist where possible.
All the Zoom activities continue to grow in popularity and a very big thanks to all the hosts who are stepping up and coordinating. Special mention to Len Tuffill, the host of twice weekly Cruiser Chats, who was sat on his own for much of the start of today’s chat……note to Len: sending out the correct Link or ID always helps ; )
Big thanks also to Paul and Simon for running the Friday quiz, which I am told was very successful …..with easier questions this week ; ) Additional thanks to John Doerr for an excellent presentation on racing rules on Friday and also to Gareth Griffiths for organising….apologies for the technical glitch during the talk of cutting out after 40 mins….my fault for missing that big button named ‘Buy License’. All sorted now!
The next talk in our LTSC Zoom collection is by Pete Bruce, a regular speaker and the author of Solent Hazards and Heavy Weather Sailing amongst others. www.peter-bruce.com The talk, covering his latest release of Solent Hazards, will take place via LTSC Room 2 on Zoom, on Thursday 23rd April at 8.15pm. Suggest logging in at 8.10pm so you are ready and waiting.
As per normal this week, loads of Zoom activities going on, details which are listed below. Bit of self-promo now…..this week’s quiz is being hosted by myself and northern friend Gary Stones. Be afraid!! LTSC Room 1 with a prompt start at 7pm. Not compulsory, but there is an additional prize for the introduction of the best northern prop, i.e. flat cap, whippet, very large pie, etc.
To all the children and families who normally participate in children’s sailing activities, my regular weekly mail that I send out during the season will start this Friday.
Finally, my usual nod to local businesses and partners, details of which are listed below. Do support them as much as you can.
The Plan for this week
The club has set up an online video and video-conferencing account that all members can log into via PC or suitable mobile phone. We have two accounts set up, these being: –
LTSC Zoom 1: (note – password will be added to this from next Monday and update on Friday update)
Click on link: https://zoom.us/j/7493198579
Or via zoom App: Meeting ID: 749 319 8579
LTSC Zoom 2:
Click on link: https://zoom.us/j/2818039925?pwd=UVJCNnE3L1VuV3Vqbk1sTjl2MUNkZz09
Or via zoom App : Meeting ID: 281 803 9925 Password: 967943
Planned ‘get togethers’ for the coming week are noted below.
Please note that all get togethers are on LTSC Zoom 1 unless noted.
- Morning Coffee – Monday to Friday at 10 am – Various Hosts
- Cruisers Chatter – Wednesday and Friday at 12 noon – Host Len Tuffill
- Yoga – Tues and Thurs at 2 pm – Beginners and returners – Host and Teacher Ali Herbert
- Virtual Regatta Club Racing –
- Sunday – meet on the virtual lawn at 10.25 am and races start at 10.30 am
- Monday – meet on the virtual lawn at 8.00 pm and races start at 8.05 pm
- Wednesday – meet on the virtual lawn at 8.00 pm and races start at 8.05 pm
- Thursday – meet on the virtual lawn at 8.10 pm and races start at 8.15 pm
- Virtual Lower Deck Bar – as and when with times posted on social media – get your beer or wine and catch up – various hosts
- Pilates – Thursday 6-7pm – hosted by Terry our regular LTSC Pilates coach
- Friday Quiz Night – Friday, April 17th at 7pm – This week’s hosts are Tony and Gary. LTSC Zoom Room 1 – https://zoom.us/j/7493198579
- Book Club – Wednesday April 22nd , 2-3.30pm. Anyone can join in if they have read the book: “An American Marriage” by Tayari Jones. Chris Bennett will be chairing.
- Thursday Talk – 8.15pm April 23rd, Pete Bruce, a regular speaker and the author of Solent Hazards and Heavy Weather Sailing amongst others. The talk, covering his latest release of Solent Hazards. PLEASE NOTE THIS IS IN LTSC Zoom 2 – details above
- Kids@LTSC online – 9.30am April 25th and weekly thereafter.
Thursday Coffee morning April 16th at 10am
We are planning a “Bring along and share a photo or picture” for this particular coffee morning. Those joining are encouraged to share one or more photos or pictures that they have on their computer that mean a lot to them. Instructions will be given on how to “share” on zoom.
Update from Gareth – Rear Commodore Sailing
LTSC trying to help during the Covid19 Pandemic
We have had a superb response from club members either contacting me or Karl Thorne trying to help with 3D printing protective Face Visors, Ear Protectors or sewing Masks and other bits and pieces that can help our wonderful health workers who are sacrificing so much at a time when our nation is lacking the Personal Protective Equipment to deal with this situation.
3D printed face masks have been sent to Wisteria Practice and we have had enquiries from Oakhaven and Lymington Town Council. We are waiting for quantities from both. If there are any other members with 3D printers that could do something to help please let us know asap.
There is a local group called New Forest Sewing for the NHS who have given us a pattern to make togs bags for the frontline key workers to put their uniforms in to keep separate from their normal Laundry. They are very simple to make and I have a pattern and instructions for you. Please drop me an email by clicking here I will forward to you.
Wisteria Surgery request for Bottles
Wisteria Surgery in Lymington and Milford need these containers, photos below. Any type similar with a push pump lid and over 400ml is ideal. Please can you help…?
We are going to put a collection box on the door of LTSC for locals or drop me a line if the club is too far for you to travel, I will help arrange something. They have found a vat of hand sanitizer and they need containers to decant it into.
Sanders Sails – Great Job!!
Big congratulations to club partner, Sanders Sails, who are now making scrubs for our NHS frontline. Using our laser cutter to make perfectly accurate cuts we can mass produce quantities of any size needed.
Message from Lymington Town Council
Hampshire County Council support line (0333 370 4000) for vulnerable people in Hampshire, Lymington & Pennington Town Council launched a helpline (02380 285893) today to assist residents of Lymington and Pennington. This is designed to assist self-isolating or vulnerable persons, within the Lymington and Pennington community, receive essentials.
With this in mind, we are obtaining details of volunteers that possess a valid DBS. These volunteers may be called to assist (we anticipate with shopping/deliveries) depending on the volume of enquiries the Town Council receives via its helpline. In the meantime, we are advising that volunteers do not feel obliged to wait for us to contact them before helping those they want to. If you would like to help or think that you know people who can please email me ASAP at firstname.lastname@example.org
This is also a time to remember our local charities that we support. Anything we can do to help raise money for places like Oakhaven right now will be wonderful as their funding from activities and shops is not available to them during this period of Isolation.
Club Partners and Local Business
Given the current environment it is important that we support LTSC partners and local businesses as much as possible. With that in mind I’ll use these updates to provide some regular links and promotions where applicable. I’ve noted some details of these below: –
- Nick Cox Chandlery. Our convenience store remains open from 8.00am to 1.00pm every day for food and groceries and in response to the government’s guidelines we have closed the chandlery. Fear not however! If you require chandlery, advice, splicing and quotes, we can still help! Please call us on 01590 673489, email email@example.com or purchase as usual through our website www.nickcoxchandlery.co.uk For all items we are offering a free local home delivery service in Lymington during this period.
- Sanders Sails. Open for drop off and non face to face collections. Call 01590 673981.
- Yachtmail. Online store open and local deliveries available. www.yachtmailchandlery.com
- Plants, Shrubs and Gardening supplies. Online ordering and delivery: www.solentgrowers.co.uk
- Wines, Spirits and Beers. Online ordering and delivery: www.thesolentcellar.co.uk
- Fruit and Vegetables. Phone order and delivery: www.rootsandfruitslym.com
- Coffee. Online ordering and delivery: www.coffeemongers.com
- Orchids. Andy Burton, a club member, runs Double H Nurseries in New Milton who normally supply to supermarkets including M&S and Waitrose. They have some very good prices and can deliver anywhere in the UK, perfect to brighten up your ‘work from home desk’ or send to friends and family to cheer them up. All details can be found on their website www.loveorchids.co.uk
- www.meadowbrookproduce.co.uk/the-counter. An amazing range of fresh foods, home cooked pies, delicatessen and much more. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01202 482797 and we will send you our full product and price list of the items. Deliveries available.